DUI and Traffic Criminal Defense
How Can I Help You?
Washington, DC treats DUI offenses especially harshly, and punishments can range from exorbitant fines to lengthy jail terms. Apart from this, the criminal record that comes from a conviction can have many unpleasant consequences, such as a limitation of your right to drive to and from work, drive your children to school, and other dire consequences.
At The Law Office of Jacqueline Williams, we provide dedicated legal representation for our clients in various criminal matters. With over 18 years of experience handling criminal, DUI and traffic offenses of varying complexity, Attorney Williams knows the system thoroughly and understands how to successfully navigate the criminal justice system for you. Whether that involves filing a motion to dismiss illegal evidence collected against you or working with the prosecution to find a favorable disposition, rest assured that Attorney Williams will fight to procure a positive outcome for you.
Our services include an initial consultation and case review to help you understand your rights and the options available to you. Contact our law firm today to get started on building a solid legal defense for your case.
Traffic Criminal Defense Attorney in Washington, DC
However, while receiving a traffic ticket can feel daunting, you should know it does not mean an automatic conviction. A traffic violation is contestable, and with the help of a knowledgeable attorney, you might be able to get the charges dismissed or reduced.
- Traffic infractions: These are purely administrative violations that are resolved at the DMV. They are not considered criminal, meaning a conviction will not show up on your criminal record. Being convicted of an infraction will however have an impact on your drivers’ record.
- Misdemeanors: These are slightly more serious than infractions. A misdemeanor is usually resolved at the DC Superior Court. A person convicted of an offense of this nature may face fines and or jail time.
- Felonies: The penalties for a traffic related felony (i.e. Vehicular Homicide, Vehicular Assault) are much more serious than infractions and misdemeanors. DUI and similar offenses may amount to felonies depending on whether a repeat offense has been committed.
Arrested on a DUI Charge? Call Attorney Williams for Help Today
In Washington, DC, it is a criminal offense to drive or operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol beyond the legal limit. T
There are three major types of drunk driving offenses: driving under the influence (DUI), driving while intoxicated (DWI), and operating while impaired (OWI).
- DWI: The offense is committed when a person operates or is in physical control of a vehicle while impaired due to intoxication. A person is considered intoxicated if their blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level is .08 or higher. The punishment for a DWI may extend to a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 days in jail and up to $10,000 in fines.
- DUI: This is the most serious drink driving offense a person can be charged with in Washington, DC. Similar to DWI, a person may be charged with DUI when they operate or are in control of a vehicle while impaired by drugs or alcohol. Anyone with a BAC over .20 may be subject to a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 days in jail.
- OWI: This offense is committed when a person operates or is in physical control of a vehicle while their ability to do so is impaired by drugs, alcohol, or any combination of the two.
The punishment for drunk driving offenses in Washington, DC can be very steep, and in some cases they carry substantial consequences. If you are facing DUI charges, contact a DUI attorney for help.
Call Attorney Williams today to begin the process of defending the criminal allegations against you. Schedule a free consultation by calling (301) 693-6928 now.